Monday, October 3, 2011

Goodbye USA, Hello New Zealand!


Here I go again, leaving the United States for a while again. The flight from Denver was beautiful when I wasn’t napping! We flew over the Grand Canyon which was beautiful. The time we spent in LAX was marked by my co-worker, Heather, leaving her ticket and passport on the plane. Oops! She got it back, thank goodness. We spent some time walking around and then dinner #1 at Chili’s. The big group of us Polar folks spent time chatting and playing little games as we waited through some delays in boarding. Once on board my seat neighbor was Zac, a fuel guy at McMurdo, we shared lots of laughs and watched a documentary about a man that worked at McMurdo and came back crazy. I hope that isn’t a sign! We had dinner #2 on the plane before tiredness set in.
Zac
I took my drugs so I could sleep some. At that point it was after midnight so I had some natural help with the sleep. I did wake up a few times but got some shut eye. Breakfast was so-so. We enjoyed some more tv time before landing and Zac forgetting his wallet and passport in the seat back pocket! There seems to be a theme here!
Customs and immigration were pretty easy. Not a huge line which was nice and then showed my boots to ensure they are clean. We then had to cart our luggage to the domestic terminal, recheck, bag tag and ticket for the last flight of the day. I slept most of the flight to Christchurch but awoke in time to see some snow capped mountains as we made our descent into the area. 

We were greeted at the airport by a couple of the US Antarctic Program folks and we got some info and collected our bags. After we loaded up the shuttles we made our way to our respective hotels. 

My room in the Ashley hotel

No comments: