Wednesday, October 19, 2011

New Zealand vs Australia World Cup Rugby Match


Sunday night I walked the approx 2 miles to the New Zealand Base, Scott Base, with Grant, firefighter here at McMurdo, and Julie, cook here that I arrived with. This was the first time I went out on any sort of outdoor adventure since I arrived. The view was amazing!! The weather had cleared and there wasn’t much wind. I got off work just before 8 pm and it took us about 40 minutes to walk there. You might ask what kind of a view I could really see between 8 and 9 pm… well remember that we have almost 24 hours of daylight. Technically the sun still sets but it’s always light out. The last sunset of the summer will be in just a few days.
We walked past the 3 large wind turbines that are just over the hill from McMurdo and down to Scott Base. Their base is set up with almost all the buildings connected via enclosed hallways. Very smart those Kiwis are! We watched the match in the bar and New Zealand won!! There were a few Aussies there who work at the base so the rivalry was even stronger! After the match was over Julie introduced me to some of the Kiwi cooks(who greeted me not with a hand shake but a hug!) who gave us a tour of their kitchen and dining area with the seating room attached. Their view is AMAZING!! They look out over the sea ice which has several pressure ridges(areas where the ice has buckled) a short walk away and two seals were laying out. They can also see Mt. Erebus the volcano. Words can’t describe it! And I was too stunned to take a picture! We got an invitation to go back(we can’t just visit their base and they can’t just stop by ours. Invitation only.) and tour the pressure ridges. They arranged for a ride back for us and of course hugs goodbye!
Pictures from the walk and my trip to the Ob Tube(next post) can be found at… https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.676653798649.2141778.44801562&type=1&l=ae43600e4b