Friday, September 30, 2011

The Next Leg

As I sit here in Los Angeles waiting for my flight to Auckland I am looking forward to many adventures! We had some training today and they spoke of some potential things we can experience. The clocks that are posted on the wall at Raytheon made me think of these possibilities...




We may or may not be able to do things such as visit the South Pole, go to field camps, tour the research vessels, etc. I am stoked! I just hope my camera survives the cold! They also told us about the rules, well laws actually, about photographing and interacting with the penguins. With some creative thinking I'll hopefully have some really neat pics.
On the flight from Denver we flew over the Grand Canyon which was spectacular! I have visited the south rim with my family before and it was breathtaking but the over head view was even better! I sat next to a guy that is a firefighter. He grew up in Utica, NY and now lives in Colorado but we had some serious discussions about the fact that I didn't bring my own Vermont Maple Syrup! He had done some bike trips through New England and we compared notes on the cute small towns and Vermont facts. I also met an electrician from southern Vermont who is a repeater as well. Again comparing stories and places we knew and frequented.
Well, I need to walk a bit before the 13+ hour flight. Next stop, New Zealand. I will be sure to take pics of the extreme cold weather gear issue! My internet access may be limited until I get on the Ice as there is still significant destruction from the earthquakes that have continued to plague the area. I'll post when I can.

No comments: