Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Welcome to McMurdo!


I made it! What a journey, but well worth it.

I didn’t sleep very well last(Monday) night because I was worried about missing the phone calls we got the previous night about delays and cancellations so I was looking at the phone and clock frequently. I got up at 5:30am and got myself together. The shuttle arrived at 6:15 and we were off to the Antarctic Terminal and Clothing Distribution Center. We had some last minute bag sorting to do and then dressed in our extreme cold weather gear before heading to the check in line where we sent our checked bags away along with our boomerang bag to be then weighed with our carry on bag and all ECW. Holy kilos!! Our boarding passes were yellow laminated cards on a necklace, which we would later turn in so no souvenir there! Erin and I then went to have our prepaid breakfast just a quick walk through the rain away. Up next was our what to expect briefing done by a Kiwi including a video and then we went through security and on to a bus. The bus brought us out to the runway where we boarded the C-17 run by a great crew from Washington state.
We were issued a bag lunch and then boarded and picked out our side facing seats. Let the adventure begin! Erin and I ended up sitting next to the mechanic type guy for the plane so we got to learn about all the boxes and hoses all over the plane. Once we were in flight we got a chance to tour the flight deck and meet the pilots and crew. I read a bit, chatted with Erin and our new Air Force neighbor. Once we got closer we could see the ice through the small door windows(no window seats on this plane!). 
Landing was kind of strange because there is nothing to reference your location to. The blast of cold air when the doors were opened was refreshing. The view when I stepped off the plane was breath-taking. The group of us that has been hanging out together were taking pics of each other with the plane and snow in the background. (Thus the pic in my previous post.) 
Erin, Levi, and Julie

One of the transport buses. Not the one I took.

Me and Sheila

View back to the plane. In Crary Lab warm!

 We were then loaded on to an awkward bus type vehicle for the drive to McMurdo about 10 minutes away. We unloaded at the Main Lab and had some orientation like talks and then got our keys for our rooms.
Doors into Crary Lab. Looks like a walk in freezer!
 We got our linen(provided for us) and then collected our bags from the post office. Dinner was next then a talk about outdoor safety followed by some serious unpacking and getting settled. A shower was the last order of business and then sleep!!
My bed in my new room with all my stuff!

1 comment:

Katy said...

Looks like better accommodations than Sea Base!