Sunday, September 25, 2011

What exactly does one pack for Antarctica?

I've had many people ask me what I'm bringing with me on this adventure. I have gone by the packing list that I was given and probably over packed. How does one fit their whole life in two suitcases? It's basically how I've been living for the past 3 years but this is by far the coldest adventure so lots more sweaters than bathing suits.

My bags
The packing list given to all Raytheon Polar Service Company employees like myself is as follows...


Boots or shoes; work, climbing, hiking, insulated as needed
Glasses; eye and sun, extra pair, record of prescription 
Gym clothes and shoes for athletics  
Holiday attire
Jacket; pile and windbreaker
Neck gaiter
Pajamas/robe
Pants/jeans
Shirts; light wool or cotton
flannel, long-sleeve (machine washable)
Slippers for indoor  wear
Sock liners; polypropylene or Thermax
Socks; heavy
Sweaters; heavy and light
Swimsuit (for sauna)
Towel and washcloth
Underwear, thermal top/bottom
Underwear, regular
Flip flops for shower
Alarm clock
Batteries, rechargeable/charger
Camera/camera batteries
Coffee mug (nonbreakable)
Day pack
Hair dryer
Hobby, craft items (small)
Laundry bag
Lock, combination or key
MP3 player/extra headphones/
AC adaptor
Musical instrument/spare parts
Prescription medications
Sewing kit
Skis; skate/cross country
Plastic food containers with lids
Toiletry articles; toothpaste,
dental floss, comb, razor,
shave cream, deodorant, soap
and skin lotion for dry skin,
tampons, a carrying case
Vitamins
Water bottle
Ziplock® bags
 
You might say a jacket isn't going to keep me warm in these harsh conditions...
I will be issued extreme cold weather gear when I arrive in Christchurch, New Zealand and orange bags to put my things in as well. The ECW gear is loaned to every employee for our stint on the Ice. Pictures of course as soon as I can!
Now, how much of things do I really need was my next question. We are talking 6 months here! There may not be a Wal-mart or CVS on the continent but I can get things via mail. As well, we have to bring out everything we bring in so empty bottles of shampoo, vitamins, etc. So its recommend to placing things in reusable containers like ziplock bags or food containers. Lots of planning here!
I wish I had thought to take a picture of all of my clothes laid out on my bed and my mom's as I was packing and debating on what to take and what not to.
So I am all packed. Hopefully I've got it all.
I was asked today if I'm nervous. Honestly, it hasn't really hit me yet. I've planned and prepared for another adventure. I'm more excited to actually be there. I want all the flights to go by quickly, as I'm not looking forward to sitting for ~12,000 miles! The circumference of the earth at the equator is 24,902 mi... ok half way around the world here I come!!

2 comments:

Sherpa Tom said...

So what else have you added since getting to Denver?

Megan said...

other than some dirty laundry nothing!