Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Thanksgiving for real this time!


So Thursday the 24th was actual Thanksgiving but it was just a normal day at work for me. My schedule here was the same as any other day. Not too exciting, right?
Well, Friday morning was Thanksgiving back in the States so I did call my family and wish them well, but otherwise it was just a normal day for me again!
Saturday is when things get interesting. Due to the projects that go on here we couldn’t take a day of during the week so Thanksgiving was pushed to Saturday and all the townie folks got a two day weekend. So I had a phone date with my brother because I had extra time in the morning due to the special Thanksgiving schedule. We spoke for a while and then I grabbed some breakfast and got ready for work. My day was a unique schedule because rather than having lunch and then one dinner we had lunch and then three dinners. To start out right we set up the dining room with white tablecloths, fall decorations and lots of food! We set up a bunch of tables so that we could have “family meal.” What is family meal you may ask? It is usually who ever is working that shift, both cooks and dining attendants, eating what we are going to serve before we serve it. Since Thanksgiving is so big no one had the day off, which meant we had a family of about 65! And to make it extra special we got a full hour to eat instead of our normal 25 minutes. Lots of laughs, we all went around the table and said what we were thankful for, and generally enjoyed each others company.
We had a special visit from 3 guys dressed as turkeys that did a little morale boost. They had a cute sign for us and then did a pop quiz with questions like what is a group of turkeys called. Those that answered correctly got gift certificates to our burger bar. I got a question right! Thanks guys!
We then set out to serve over a thousand people Thanksgiving. I worked the 3 and 5 pm dinner seating and then as a special treat all the DAs were “adopted” by a community member. This translates to they came in and worked for us for one hour. So this combined with my half hour break meant I had from 6:30 to 8pm free. So I got to eat with some friends… meaning 5 guys! J They were all very sweet and talked surprisingly little(I hope because the food was so good!) during the meal. I then changed clothes and went back to work for another 2 hours before we were done for the night.
A Happy Thanksgiving was had by all here at McMurdo Station.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.692554857799.2144247.44801562&type=1&l=bf4a496aaa

1 comment:

Ben Ware said...

This sounds really great Megan - I am so happy for you, and for how much fun you are having!