Sunday, November 14, 2010

Fest Season?

So I realized that I never posted about fest season! How could I!
So back in August the first fest was Garmischerfest located just around the corner from where I live. The experiences included lots of beer, umpa bands, and lots of friends. A new experience for me was witnessing people standing on tables and having everyone at your table lift you up and drink a beer... I didn't try it because 1: I couldn't chug a liter of beer and 2: I was nervous about falling off the bench which was on the ground and the idea of standing on a table that's about 8 feet up in the air, no way!
There were a few nights where there was an entrance fee and many reserved tables. One of those I was able to go early and saved a table for friends that were working and had dinner before the band started playing. It's lots of fun when almost everyone in the giant tent is standing on a bench singing and jumping and dancing to the music.
Next was Partenkirchenfest which was in the other half of the city so a taxi ride each way was required. Similar events happened here but one exception was a stone lifting competition. It was an interesting spectacle! We had no idea that one of our co-workers, Joel from accounting, was participating. The competition was broken up into different weight classes. Joel put in his best effort but didn't win. From the name you'd think that they were lifting a large rock but this was actually a weight with a handle on it. Very interesting to say the least.
I also got to go to one of the band nights at Partenkirchenfest as well which was lots of fun as well. I still don't understand why Germans love the song Country Roads so much.
Next was Oktoberfest which was held in Munich. I only was able to go once but it was a blast. It was a girls trip with Holly, Haley, and Morgan. We went on several rides and then enjoyed some beers both in the beirgartens outside and inside the tents. We had a great time and made lots of great memories.
I have posted some pictures on Facebook... http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2116024&id=44801562&l=e7d6f56b03
The album also includes Morgan's going away party.

1 comment:

Martha said...

What fun! It would have been priceless to see you chugging a beer on a bench, though. :)