Saturday, December 19, 2009

Munich Christmas Market and ice skating

So this past Monday I had the day off and took my first train trip here in Europe. I went to Munich with Haley(Market Station), Morgan(Pullman Place), and Mike(Bell Stand) for the day. The train ride was nice and full of lots of beautiful scenery passing by the window. It took an hour and a half from Garmisch-Partenkirchen to the main station in Munchen. We got the Bayern Pass which allows up to 5 people to travel together on the same ticket for a day within the Bayern region for 28 euros. Not a bad deal. We went to Starbucks because of the need for coffee(as usual I had hot chocolate) and then paid 80 euro cents for the bathroom and we were on our way. We walked around for a while window shopping and drinking some gleuwein while watching the skaters before we found a place for some lunch just off the marienplatz. I had a Jagerschnitzel and a Helles. Yum! Our timing on the ice skating always seemed to end up with us arriving a few minutes before they closed down for the zamboni. So we did some shopping and more drinking. Apple strudel and beers at the Hofbrau Haus(Mike's first time). I got two hand panted glass ornaments(Check! for my to do list). One for myself and one for Justin's grandmother. Both have "Munchen 2009" painted on it. Then a little durndel for Morgan's Niece. So cute! Nice memories. We finally paid our 10 euros for skates and entry to the outdoor rink and got our skate on! The music was an interesting selection. From Sexual Healing to Bringing Sexy Back it seemed not so family appropriate but it's Europe. I was issued ice hockey skates not figure skating skates so I wasn't as confident in my abilities so I made friends with a bear(see the pictures to understand). We had a great time. After we got some spiced nuts and crepes and made our way back to the train for the ride home. A great day and missions accomplished for all of us.

Pictures... http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2084998&id=44801562&l=031d59af6c

No comments: