Sunday, December 27, 2009

Merry Christmas

On Monday I started my preparations for our Abrams "Family" Christmas dinner and made two chocolate marble cheesecake pies. I also found out that we didn't have a ham for the dinner that were were having the next day. So on Tuesday after working 6-230 I went to the commissary and searched for hams. They were all frozen. So I got a 10 pound Hillshire Farms ham and walked it home like I was carrying a baby. Should have taken a cab. Oh well. So fortunately it was a precooked ham so since I had only a few hours before we ate I put it in the oven at a low temp and slowly turned it up as it thawed. At 730 when we were ready to eat the middle was still frozen so I sliced off some of the outside and microwaved it. I also made some honey glazed carrots and creamed corn while the ham was cooking and helped make many of the other dishes. It's a small kitchen and we had lots to get done. We all sat down and ate around 8pm and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. There was probably about 20 of us sitting at the table and another 10 or so that trickled in and stood around or sat on the floor. Lots of laughs and great food. We cleaned up and went to bed, then off to work again at 530.
Christmas eve Justin and I went to St Martin's Church just off the Marienplatz for midnight mass that actually started at 11. The place was packed and we found to seats that I think was really just the railing for the stairs because it had no back and if you leaned too far you'd end up rolling down the stairs. Everything was in German of course but they sang some songs we recognized. It was neat to see but a bit long. We were outside at 12:40 walking back to the Abrams. Christmas morning was the usual chaos at work, then we closed for lunch and helped prepare for the Christmas buffet in the conference rooms. When we got home Justin and I skyped with our families to say Merry Christmas and we had a quiet evening watching Dexter on his computer.
Merry Christmas to all and best wishes for the New Year!

No comments: