Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Touring the R/V Nathaniel Palmer

Before I was even officially hired I had researched so many aspects of Antarctica. One piece of that included a special research vessel that the National Science Foundation owns and runs around Antarctica. I read about it and thought how neat it would be to work on it, but I wasn’t qualified for the jobs I could find. I did read a blog about someone at McMurdo that got to tour the vessel when it pulled up to the ice pier.
R/V Nathaniel B Palmer

 I got this chance last week! I was so excited when Chef Bill told me that the recreation office was offering tours that night for one night only. I happened that the sign up time was during our serving period for lunch so I went and signed up on my break. 
We arrived at the ice pier at about 8:15 for our 8:30pm tour and crossed the ice following the flagged route and walked up the gangway onto the boat.
Walking to the Ice Pier
Crossing the Pier!
While we waited for the others in our tour to arrive we marveled at the boat and took a few pictures.
Once the tour started I was like a kid in a candy shop. I had googly eyes and wanted to see it all! We got to see a room they use to launch equipment out the starboard side of the vessel, then a lab room with several deep freezers.
Galley
Looking off the stern

Other rooms we saw were chemical labs, wet labs, the galley, some cabins, and my favorite part… the bridge!!

The Bridge
 And I got to meet the captain!! It was a great time and I am so grateful to have been able to tour it.
Post Tour!

2 comments:

Ben Ware said...

Super cool Megs! When will you get to work on it? :)

Sherpa Tom said...

It looks like the boat is in open water but accessible by walking across the ice? Isn't that a bit dangerous? Maybe you will get to work on it some day.