Monday, January 9, 2012

Happy 2012 from the bottom of the world!


So what does a group of a thousand or so people do in Antarctica for New Years? Keep in mind we’ve got 24 hours of sunlight plus the Antarctic Treaty to disturb wild life, so fire works are out of the question. That only leaves us one option… to party the night away Ice Stock style! So that translates to a chili cook off, lots of live bands performing original music and covers of some tunes you might recognize, lots of dancing like you just don’t care, drinks and debauchery Antarctic style. 
My day started out with full day of work from 5:30am to 3:30pm which included serving a special Saturday brunch rather than the standard breakfast and lunch. (We normally only have brunch on Sundays) I then went to my room and napped for a couple hours to prep for the new year. I then met up with a group of friends and enjoyed a few brews over dinner before heading out to buy a few bottles of champagne and dancing the night away. I missed out on the pig roast that was going on during the afternoon and didn’t test any of the chili(but I did get a commemorative mug with chilies forming the shape of the continent). Then the night was spent dancing around to music ranging from rock and roll to blues to pop covers. At almost midnight(still bright as noon time!) father time made an appearance on stage, champagne bottles were popped and the 2012 baby made everyone laugh. Kisses were exchanged and lots of drunken hugs and well wishes for the new year were made. I was pretty tired at this point so I finished my drink and retreated to my warm bed for the night.
Sunday we had mimosas at brunch and enjoyed lots of food and of course Vermont Maple Syrup!! I am very thankful for all the great friends that I have made here. They are the best McMurdo Family I could have asked for!
What does the future hold for me? Well, at this point I don’t have many concrete plans. I will finish my contract out here on the Ice, travel for a bit, work at Sea Base, and hopefully return here for another season. And no, I don’t know what position I’ll come back to.

No comments: