Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Paris

So I just got back from almost a week in Paris for my birthday and had a great time exploring the city and seeing the sights. The weather was warm and sunny with hardly a cloud in the sky every day and beautiful sunsets every night.
Morgan and I flew out Monday morning and arrived in Paris around 12:30, took the train into the city and dropped our bags off at our hotel room. We then walked up to the Sacre-Coeur and walked around inside, then went down to the Moulin Rouge. After a quick trip on the Metro we arrived at the Centre George Pompidou to take some pictures and then went down to the Notre Dame, Berthillion Ice Cream Shop for a couple scoops of the famous glace. We then trekked down the Seine towards the Tour de Eiffel, had a snack under the tower and then met up with Cat and went across the river to Trecado Square. We spent the evening talking and watching the tower light up. The World Cup was going on so there was a big viewing screen in the square and after the game we were surrounded but yelling fans. We saw the tower sparkle at 11pm then caught the subway back to our hotel.
Tuesday was my actual birthday and to celebrate my parents got me a gift certificate for a Segway Tour which Morgan and I had prebooked. So we headed out to meet up at the South leg of the Eiffel Tower taking pictures and grabbing a bite to eat along the way. The Segway Tour was an interesting experience to say the least. It was the last day for our guide so we got his last tour. We practiced a bit in a small paved parking lot next to the tour office before heading out to see the sights. Along the way another person in our group had a little mishap. The mother-daughter pair were cruising along and had a small crash mid-crosswalk and the mom fell off her Segway. We weren't immune to the mishaps either... Morgan misjudged a small pillar and fell off her Segway as well. Other than a bruised egos both the mom and Morgan were fine. We had lunch at a cafe near the Louvre and I got a chocolate brownie with ice cream as my birthday cake. The Segway group sang to me as well as our waiter, but only in English. Once the tour was over we headed up to the L'Arc de Triumphe and walked down the Champs Elysee with stops in Louis Vuitton, Chanel, Laudree, and then a park to enjoy our little sugary creations from Laudree. Then it was back to the Tuilleries Garden and we had some dinner in the park, then some ice cream before heading back to our hotel.
Wednesday Morgan and Cat flew home in time for work that evening and I kept on touring Paris. I started my day after locating a new place to sleep at the l'Orangerie Museum which is home to Monet's Waterlilies paintings. I then went to the Rodin Museum and enjoyed some lunch in the gardens at the museum, then did part of the d'Orsay Museum before taking a nap, grabbing a bite to eat and going to the late night opening of the Louvre. Found Mona Lisa who is smaller than I expected.
Thursday I went out to Versailles but was very disappointed that the buildings were all closed. It was mass confusion because the official word was that it would open in an hour, and then the next hour and so finally I rented a bike and rode around the gardens for a while. I then caught the train back into the city, took yet another nap, and headed to the d'Orsay for late night which happened to be canceled that night. So I headed to the Eiffel Tower and waited in line to buy my ticket and took the elevator up to the second level. Initially the top was closed due to congestion but then it reopened and there was another massive line so I just got some Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream and watched the sunset. I watched the tower light up and then took the elevator down, purchase my mini Eiffel Tower and then went to my hostel.
Friday I packed in the rest of my to-see list starting at the Louvre seeing the Venus de Milo and several other sculptures, then to the Flower Market, Sainte Chapelle with the breath taking stained glass windows, touring the Notre Dame, then to the Deportation Memorial. The remainder of the afternoon I spent in the Luxembourg Gardens sitting in the green chairs with my feet up watching kids play with toy sail boats in the fountains and people walking by. I must've looked like a real Parisian because I was asked multiple times for directions and did my best to respond in French. I then went back to my hotel to pack my things and get ready to head home. The shower in my room had the hottest water ever and I couldn't physically handle it.
Saturday I got up early and headed to the metro to head to the airport. No major issues on the trip home, and then headed to work at 430.
It was an amazing trip that I'll never forget. I want to go back and enjoy the city more and eat some more amazing pastries. Overall one of my favorite trips.
As always check out my pictures at... http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2097655&id=44801562&l=991e9e5328

No comments: