Thursday, July 10, 2008

Dive, eat, dive, eat, dive, eat, sleep... repeat

Well, I'm in week 5 of my time here at Columbus and time seems to be flying by. I am diving almost everyday and 2-4 times at that. The diving is beautiful with sharks spotted on nearly every dive. I find it interesting to watch people's reaction to sharks. I've had the range from swimming towards them to hiding behind me or grabbing their children in fear. We also see a fair amount of lion fish which aren't native to the Atlantic and thus have no natural predators. The other dive operation, Riding Rock, on the island actively hunts and kills them to help reduce the population, but I still see them.
Last week on my day off a group of us G.O.s went out to eat lunch at Riding Rock and while I was there I spotted this sticker on the window with many other dive shop stickers.What a small world!! A little bit of Vermont in the Bahamas.

2 comments:

Patty said...

how do you kill a lion fish???????

Patty said...

f you see a lionfish: Take a good look around at the reef, wreck or other area where it was seen and try to get precise coordinates. Take photos if possible. Report the date, time and location of the sighting to the Reef Environmental Education Foundation at (305) 852-0030 or report them online at www.reef.org/exotics. Lionfish also can be reported to NOAA Fisheries Service at (252) 718-8714 or by e-mail to: reportlionfish@noaa.gov.