Saturday, June 18, 2011

Summary!

So lots to catch up on! I’ve been here working away at Sea Base since December. I was a conference mate for January, February, and half of March which means I did everything and anything for conferences and retreats. Many, many loads of laundry, cleaning bathrooms, making beds, preparing and serving food, boat mate for snorkel excursions… the list goes on.

March and April I was either scuba instructor or divemaster. So lots of classroom time and some cool ocean dives. We had some excitement when we were headed out on a night dive and ran aground. That was a first for me! It was a long night of struggling unsuccessfully to get the boat free. We transferred all the kids to another boat hoping that would help which it didn’t. Finally first thing in the morning the boat was able to be pulled free.

May brought the Tarpon Tournament, which is a huge fund raiser for us. There was a lot of preparation and for good reason. Base sparkled and we got lots of money! It was several long days but the reward at the end was worth it. Stephanie, Deanza and I went on a Carnival Cruise! We spent way too much money but thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

When I got back from the cruise my mom was waiting in Fort Lauderdale and we spend 5 days together. We took a day trip out to the Dry Tortugas, visited the Turtle Hospital and other touristy stuff.

I then got drafted to go out on the Scuba Liveaboard Conch Pearl. Initially I was hesitant about whether I would enjoy it but Holley and Denny won me over! So my new home 5 nights a week is a bunk on the Conch Pearl.

I plan to post a fair amount of information relating to the Conch Pearl and the Florida Sea Base Scuba Liveaboard program. This will be focused on adult leaders that will be coming this summer but will service as a great reference for crews researching Sea Base and what program they want to do.

As a side note I will be posting my adventures because I recently accepted a position to work in Antarctica this winter(their summer)! Stay tuned!

1 comment:

sarah said...

Antarctica! That's fabulous - can't wait to hear all about it :) I've been enjoying reading about all your adventures.