Sunday, March 7, 2010

Ben and Martha's Visit Part 2- Germany

Once we were back in Germany the adventures didn't end. Tuesday morning I worked from 6-11 and then met Ben and Martha and went on the Bavarian Brotzeit and Ettal Tour. This included us going to a cheese making factory to learn about the process and sampled 5 of the 15 or so varieties of cheese that are made there. We shared 2 cheese plates between the 3 of us as well as a couple sausages, and some amazing cheese soup. Then for dessert, cheesecake! Yum! We then had the opportunity to buy some cheese which I did as well as some yogurt. We then walked next door to the Ettal Monastery and got a tour and some history, then more shopping, at the shop across from the Monastery and then to a local wood carver where I purchased a cutting board, bowl, and spoon. We then went back to my building and gave the 50 cent tour to Ben and Martha before we walked to the resort for our evening Griesbrau Brewery Tour. I had already done this tour once with Lisa just after we got here 4 months ago so I knew what to expect. We got the info and our samples and enjoyed some good food, and of course, dessert. One of my co-workers, Haley, was on the tour with her parents who were visiting, so we chatted with them. We got our certificates for passing the written test, and of course a visit to the store.
Wednesday I had to work, but Ben and Martha went up the Zugspitze in the morning and then did the Partnach Gorge Tour in the afternoon. That evening Justin and I met up with Ben and Martha in the Marienplatz and went out to dinner. Of course, more dessert!
Thursday we went on the Neuschwanstein Castle Tour which included a few stops along the way at a more touristy wood carver and souvenir shop, then a church, cafe, and then to the Castle. The walk up was picturesque and the tour was shorter than I had hoped, but seeing that it was never finished because King Ludwig II died first I can understand. We ate at a restaurant at the base of the hill and made our way back to the resort and I then worked from 5-10 that night.
Friday morning I worked 6-1130 and then went to base so Ben and Martha could mail some things home and we then walked to the Marienplatz and ate at a great little place with a confectionery shop attached so our desserts were amazing. Ben then went off in search of a Garmisch bike jersey and Martha and I window shopped before heading to the bahnhof for our train to Munich. We dropped our bags at their hotel and then headed to the Hofbrau Haus for dinner and BEER! I was exhausted and took the train home to rest for the day on Saturday while B&M went to Nurnberg for the day. Sunday I took the train to Munich and we toured the Munich Residence and Treasury before lunch at the Ratskeller Restaurant. I then took the train back Garmisch to get ready for work Monday morning. Ben and Martha toured the Deutsches Museum and went to the Weisses Brauhaus, both of which they enjoyed and would recommend. And finally on Tuesday they made their way to the airport for their journey back to the States.
It was great to get to see them both and spend time together touring some amazing sights and enjoying some delicious food and drink. It was a pleasure to show you my life here and be able to share in the adventures of traveling Europe.
Much love to you both.

As usual the pictures can be found on Facebook. See the link in my Part 1 post.

No comments: